Groundskeeper (Advanced & Entry Level)
Position Summary & Overview
The Advanced Level Groundskeepers primary areas of responsibility include the care and maintenance of trees, shrubs, flower beds, containers, irrigation systems, low voltage lighting systems, and specialized care of areas for events, tours and workshops. This position helps to coordinate grounds care with entry level employees, and performs other duties as assigned by the Farm & Landscape Manager. This position requires punctuality, responsibility, integrity and productive work habits. Must be responsible and committed to the overall work ethic of the grounds department.
Reports to: Farm & Landscape Manager
Position type: Full or Part time, Non-exempt
Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as an ambassador and representative for the property, the Village of Los Ranchos and Albuquerque.
- Responsible for appropriate seasonal care of plants and grounds.
- Maintain trees, shrubs, and landscapes to keep clean, healthy and aesthetically appealing.
- Engage in daily operations of all facets of holistic grounds management including weeding and pest management.
- Assist in the maintenance and management of the systems, equipment and facilities which are essential to grounds care including drip and spray irrigation systems, acequias, and hand and power tools.
- Work with interns including overseeing their labor and education, volunteers, assistant farmers and grounds keeping staff as needed or requested by the Garden & Landscape Manager.
- Must be able to work in all areas of the grounds and farm as needed or requested by the Farm & Landscape Manager.
Essential Job Functions
- Evaluate quality of plants, trees and lawns.
- Cultivate lawns, turf or gardens.
- Plant greenery to improve landscape appearance.
- Perform manual agricultural, aquacultural or horticultural tasks.
- Trim trees or other vegetation.
- Operate irrigation systems. Irrigate lawns, trees or plants.
- Operate farming and grounds maintenance equipment.
- Remove snow.
- Incorporate green features into the design of structures or facilities.
- Inspect products and operations to ensure that standards are met.
- Build agricultural structures.
- Clean facilities or sites. Remove debris from work sites.
- Inspect equipment to determine condition or maintenance needs. Maintain equipment or systems to ensure proper functioning.
- Decorate indoor or outdoor spaces.
- Drive trucks or other vehicles to or at work sites.
- Update technical knowledge.
- Know how to use gardening tools including mowers, weed eaters, hand pruners, loppers, hand and pole saws and others as trained or as job requires.
- At least two years of skilled landscape maintenance in a commercial or residential setting.
- Knowledge of installation, maintenance and repair of low voltage landscape lighting systems.
- Knowledge of installation, maintenance and repair of fountains and water features.
- Able to read and understand landscape plans and as builds.
- Able to install, troubleshoot and maintain irrigation systems, both drip and spray.
- Able to use hand, power and garden tools with an emphasis on proper pruning techniques.
- Intermediate to advanced horticultural knowledge.
- Possess strong communication skills.
- Good organizational skills and attention to details.
- Able to use initiative and lead by example.
- Demonstrate a friendly and professional attitude, demeanor and appearance.
- Willingness to learn and improve.
- Able to follow and give instructions.
- Able to stand for long periods and walk on rough, uneven ground and variable soil conditions.
- Frequent bending, standing, stooping and kneeling.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work in extremes of weather and temperatures.
- Strong interest in horticulture and organic gardening principles.
- Knowledge of Integrated Pest Management practices.
- Knowledge of spoken Spanish.
- Interest in overall vision for the landscape, farm and property.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
Click on a position to learn more: