Position Summary & Overview
The Housekeeping Manager will be responsible for the supervision and control of cleaning and servicing for all guestrooms, public spaces, private offices and other shared public spaces, such as break rooms. Job duties are critical in the effective supervision of the hotel, as cleanliness is of the highest priority in the hospitality industry. The effective management of the housekeeping team will be essential to the success of this position. Leadership, problem-solving and attention to detail are critical for success in this role. Responsible for the cleanliness of guest spaces, public areas and office spaces through strong leadership of the housekeeping department team and budget, including customer service experience related to this department.
Reports to: Director of Rooms
Duties & Responsibilites
- Act as an ambassador and representative for the property, the Village of Los Ranchos, and Albuquerque
- Manage day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Provide services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Acknowledge every encountered guest with appropriate smile and courtesy.
- Communicate effectively and maintain a positive rapport with all hotel guests and employees.
- Consistently demonstrate professional appearance and behavior that is positive and consistent with the expectations of the General Manager.
- Ensure proper delivery of guest special requests.
- Manage the Lost & Found process and ensure timely follow-up and follow-through with guest inquiries.
- Inspect rooms according to quality standards for cleanliness and proper preventative maintenance.
- Supervise and manage employees. Manage all day-to-day operations. Understand employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
- Execute hotel programs to assure that quality program criteria are met.
- Respond to requests from immediate supervisor. Follow-up with immediate supervisor on a regular basis.
- Be available via telephone to assist the property with a variety of departmental issues and challenges that occur, notwithstanding going to the hotel to resolve an issue whenever appropriate and necessary.
- Work synergistically with all other hotel department to meet a variety of guest needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Maintain Labor Cost by adjusting schedules to meet business needs
- Complete department payroll process
- Complete regular inventories and implement control protocols as necessary.
- Review and follow up with front office paperwork and reports.
- Prepare and review a variety of reports to identify and follow up on operational inefficiencies, room status discrepancies, rooms out of order, deep cleaning tasking and scheduling functions, and so forth.
- Ensure that the Housekeeping Department team completes maintenance requests on a regular basis.
Housekeeping Leadership and Development
- Develop a strong Housekeeping Department team that maintains a high attention to detail, high pace of work, excellent/award-winning quality, and positive and friendly demeanor at all times. Develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Ensure that the hotel’s Operating Values are embraced and practiced by all team members, including oneself
- Develop an environment that is positive, team-oriented, rewards good performance, collaborative and goal-oriented.
- Ensure team member attitude of attentiveness and anticipation of guest needs.
- Oversee the effective hiring, training and development, motivating, counseling, and performance reviews of staff to ensure the achievement of hotel service and quality standards
- Coach and train all members of the department on their role.
- Successfully complete all necessary Property Management System and other training programs as prescribed by the General Manager
- Ensure that employee Safety Protocols are followed at all times. Ensure all team members are trained to act according to procedure in the event of an emergency or accident at the hotel.
- Hold regular performance appraisals with all staff, identifying areas for development and training needs, and ensuring that this training is effective. Ensure that fair discipline is effective.
- Participate in the development and implementation of corrective action plans to improve guest satisfaction.
- Participate in or conduct regular morning stand-ups and team meetings.
Essential Job Functions
- Manage housekeeping services.
- Provide basic information to guests, visitors or clients.
- Resolve customer complaints or problems.
- Develop operating strategies, plans or procedures.
- Prepare financial documents, reports or budgets.
- Maintain operational records.
- Inspect and monitor facilities or operational systems.
- Coordinate operational activities with stakeholders.
- Develop organizational policies or programs.
- Prepare staff schedules or work assignments.
- Evaluate employee performance.
- Conduct employee training programs.
- Interview employees, customers or others to collect information.
- Hire personnel.
- Purchase materials, equipment or other resources.
- Housekeeping: 2 year
- Housekeeping Management: 1 year
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods and coordination of people and resources.
- Possess a strong ability to lead by example.
- Able to give and carry out direction in a high activity and service-oriented environment.
- Able to read, comprehend and write complex instructions and/or short correspondence and memos, having excellent verbal communications.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft programs, Facility Management software and Web Based Computer programs.
- Must be able sit, stand, bend, squat, reach and walk 8 to 10 hours a day.
- Able to grasp, lift, carry. Must be able to lift 25 lbs. in short intervals throughout the day.
- Must be willing and have the ability to work a varied schedule to include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of a Room Attendant, Laundry Attendant and Janitorial position.
- Possess reliable transportation.
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
- Interest in hospitality, sustainability, food, farming and New Mexico culture.
- Interest in organic farming, agriculture, art and architecture.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
Click on a position to learn more: