POSITION SUMMARY & OVERVIEW
The primary duties of the Assistant Farmer are to assist the Lead Farmer in all aspects of cultivation and care of agricultural land, lavender fields and edible crops, flower production, and other herbs and forbs grown for distillation and other use. This position must maintain, uphold, and contribute to the values of Los Poblanos regarding sustainable agriculture, and attention to the quality of product and work ethic. This position is expected to interact with guests and the public in a friendly and informative manner.
Reports to: Farm & Landscape Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as an ambassador and representative for the property, the Village of Los Ranchos, and Albuquerque
- Assists in all facets of cultivation and production of lavender including soil amendment, installation of irrigation systems, infrastructure and support systems, propagation, planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, trimming and distillation.
- Assist in all facets of cultivation and production of vegetable crops for use by the kitchen including soil amendment, installation of irrigation systems, infrastructure and support systems, planting, watering, weeding, fertilizing, composting, and harvesting.
- Assist in the maintenance and operation of the systems, equipment, and facilities which are essential to agriculture, including drip and spray systems, acequias, greenhouse, storage, and hand and power tools.
- Assist in grounds keeping, and with volunteers and interns as needed or requested by Garden & Landscape Manager.
- Assist in the production and maintenance of compost production.
- Perform any other job related duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Cultivate gardens.
- Inspect products and operations to ensure that standards are met.
- Operate irrigation systems. Irrigate lawns, trees, or plants.
- Perform manual agricultural, aquacultural, or horticultural tasks.
- Trim trees or other vegetation.
- Operate farming and grounds maintenance equipment.
- Remove snow.
- Build agricultural structures.
- Clean facilities or sites. Remove debris from work sites.
- Confer with managers to make operational decisions.
- Inspect equipment to determine condition or maintenance needs. Maintain equipment or systems to ensure proper functioning.
- Maintain inventories of materials, equipment, or products.
- Document work hours or activities. Maintain operational records. Maintain regulatory or compliance documentation.
- Update technical knowledge.
- Must be responsible, punctual, hardworking and respectful.
- Possess strong communication skills.
- Must project a friendly and professional attitude, demeanor, and appearance.
- Possess basic to intermediate agricultural or horticultural knowledge and skills.
- Ability to use hand, power, and garden tools.
- Possess the ability to follow instructions.
- Able to stand for long periods and walk on rough uneven ground and variable soil conditions.
- Frequent bending, standing, stooping and kneeling.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work in extremes of weather and temperatures.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
Position type: Full time, Non-exempt