Position Summary & Overview
Located on an organic farm in the Rio Grande River Valley, our restaurant, Campo, is a casual fine-dining experience featuring the most purely crafted field-to-fork menu in the Southwest.
Our Rio Grande Valley Cuisine is rooted in seasonal organic ingredients from our own farm's harvest as well as provisions sourced from longstanding relationships with local farmers and herdsmen. Informed by the daily harvest, Los Poblanos cuisine is constantly evolving with the seasons and celebrates the foods indigenous to New Mexico's Rio Grande River Valley.
Los Poblanos was ranked by Bon Appétit as a "Top 10 Hotel for Food Lovers in America" and has been honored with the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator for multiple years.
The unique and progressive wine list at Campo features approximately 200 selections of wine from multiple wine regions across the world. Our program focuses on boutique producers, as well as the best examples from larger established producers. In honor of our mission, we favor small production, sustainable, organic and bio-dynamic wines across the program.
The Assistant Sommelier will provide support to the beverage team in operational, administrative and financial management of the beverage department. This is support primarily for our restaurant, Campo, but may include occasional support to La Quinta Events and the Inn.
Reports to: Director of Wine & Spirits
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend and participate in vendor tastings
- Work closely with Culinary Team in menu pairings
- Assist in the training of new FOH hires as it relates to wine service and product knowledge
- Maintain professional education and continued wine studies
- Participation in outside trade tastings and other educational seminars
- ResortSuite Management – continually update database by managing beverage listings
- Audit accuracy of wine prices as the correspond to the wine list
- Return emails, correspondence and phone calls as needed, to both internal and external clients
- Provide support with entering inventory counts into software
Essential Job Functions
- Provide wine and beverage service to the guests of Campo and support the service team however necessary throughout each shift
- Assist with physical inventory of the storage spaces
- Assist in beverage selections and service of the Campo Chef’s Table
- Daily stocking of wine & spirits
- Make wine suggestions and pair wines with menu items, to both internal staff and guests of the property
- Update wine lists as needed, and type daily tasting menus
- Help educate staff on new wines, discontinued items and daily 86’d items
- Assist with formal staff education and wine & spirits classes
- Assist with receiving and intake of deliveries
- 3-5 years in a restaurant environment, with a preference towards wine-oriented service, and/or bartender positions
- BarSmarts certification (required to be completed within 60 days of hire)
- Level one or higher certification with the Court of Master Sommeliers, or equivalent organization
- A genuine interest and understanding in food and wine
- Interest in organic farming, agriculture, art and architecture is a plus
- Energy, enthusiasm, excellent customer service and problem solving skills are required
- Must display a professional appearance and attitude, adhering to but also exceeding department dress code requirements
- Ability to think on your feet and under pressure whilst maintaining a positive outlook and attention to detail
- Ability to succeed as part of a large team, in small groups, or independently
- Ability to grasp, lift, carry, or otherwise, transport up to 50 lbs. on a constant basis
- Ability to work long hours, depending on business and scheduled events
- Able to communicate clearly in and possess a good command of verbal and written English
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
Position Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt